Thursday, April 2, 2009

Grand Mad Opening of Topshop





I stupidly enough thought that Topshop's store opening today would be a little crazy, but not such a big deal. Oh boy was I  in for a huge surprise.

I had decided to take a little excursion during my lunch hour and check it out, thinking maybe I would find a cute top or something. Getting off the R, I didn't even get across Spring Street before I noticed the madness. In the end, I had to round three city blocks to find the end of the line. Not that I was planning to stand in it even for a second, but I was chuckling to myself over the insanity of the people that did. Topshop is, after all, supposed to be a pretty affordable mass-market store competing with places like Zara and H&M. 

There was even store staff walking around handing out water bottles and doughnut holes so people wouldn't pass out. Smart move...(they probably would have been blamed for anything going wrong)!

However, the funniest part of the whole thing is that when I finally rounded the fourth and last corner and was back at the front of the store again, they place was no more than half full! Cleverly they had created a huge line outside to increase the hype for the store. Marketing 101.

Funny enough, it worked! The street was full of reporters photographers and camera crews documenting this "historic day".

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails