Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Magic Tailor for Hemming Jeans


I may have found the best tailor in Manhattan for shortening jean hems. 

We all remember our moms's hemming jobs when we were kids–a simple fold and stitch. Of course the perfectly distressed bottom edge of the pants would be forever gone. 

I had the same dilemma with my latest pair. The inseam was really, really long–and I'm pretty tall (5' 8"), so I don't know whom they were made for. I'm guessing giants. 

Anyway, my friend told me about this place on 61st street right off Lexington. Kind of dingy looking little hole-in-the-wall. But it's right by the 59th street subway stop, so very convenient. The tailor will actually take of the distressed hem and put it back on once the jeans are shortened. You won't be able to tell, I promise. Cost $20. Well worth it for a pair of perfect jeans.

The 411:
H Lowry (Cleaners and Tailors)
141 E 61st Street, off Lexington
212-838-0996

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails